Module #6- 2-B Performance and Memorization Assignment
- Choose a piece to memorize and perform
- Memorize the piece
Instructions: You will be choosing a piece to memorize and perform. This piece can be anything you choose. For example, you could choose something you’ve learned in the Method section of Piano Marvel. You could choose something from the Piano Marvel library. You could choose a piece you composed or that you have improvised (made up on your own). Or you could choose a piece that you have learned somewhere else.
We recommend you print out a pdf of the pieces you choose for your memorization and performance assignments throughout the course if possible. You could keep these in a folder or binder to keep them organized. These pieces will be great options for you to play during the studio recitals. By the end of the year you should have several pieces memorized which you can put together as your own personal recital and which will be fun to look back on to see how much you have learned and progressed throughout the year.
2-B Memorization Tip:
There are 4 types of memorization:
- Aural (what you can hear)
- Visual (what you can see)
- Motor (what you can feel)
- Analytical (what you know)
Try this exercise for the Visual type of memory:
- Visual- Memorization what your hands look like on the piano at the beginning of each section you memorize. Now try jumping around from section to section out of order.
2-B Performance Tip:
- Breathe and visualize every detail of your performance how you would want it to be. Do this daily or several times leading up to your performance. Visualizing is a very powerful tool in performance!